Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Butter Battle Book; Dr. Seuss, the Cold War, and book banning, book 3 of 365



To read my full review of The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss, click on the title of this post.

Everyone has a favorite Dr. Seuss book and most likely, it is one of his sillier titles that is your favorite.  Who doesn't love reading Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop, or And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street?  I can't say that The Butter Battle Book is my favorite Seuss book, but it certainly is thought-provoking.

The theme of this book is definitely anti-war and the ridiculous reasons countries often go to war.  In this story the ridiculous reason concerns which side of the bread should be buttered.  It doesn't matter that to butter either side is equally the same, the Yooks and the Zooks have declared war against one another over this very issue.

Although this book is written for children ages 4 - 8, the following lessons could easily be used with older children.

Learning to Give lessons - includes vocabulary, art, critical thinking

MAISK-6 Science - making butter

PBS/Independent Lens - Politics and Seuss for grades 7 - 12

Utah Education Network - 5th grade

1 comment:

  1. Hopping by from the Hops. I'm a new follower. This is actually the only Dr. Seuss book I really like. I've never been a Geisel fan. But I read this in college and loved the (rather blatant) message of peace. I think it's actually most appropriate for adults/teens.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate hearing your views!